Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I'd have to be a masochist to watch this game

I had the makings of a great day. I got up, got ready and drove to work in minimal traffic (which never happens in LA). I even managed to snag a four-hour parking spot (which also never happens). Even better, my favorite team in the World Cup, Spain, was playing their opening round match against Switzerland that morning. I felt like nothing could stop me from enjoying my day.

By the time I got to the bureau, Spain's game was already over. I was recording it on my TiVo and was looking forward to watching it when I got home. I told my producer to not give me any hint as to what the result would be, even though I assumed it would be favorable to La Roja. And why wouldn't it be? They are the second-ranked team in the world and they were playing a team whose country is more famous for its dairy products than its soccer. As I started my work duties, I got a text from my friend Levi that read, "Good morning." In retrospect, I should have been more sus
picious of his salutation since I know he is not a Spain supporter. I replied to his text, asking if Fernando Torres (my favorite Spaniard and future husband once he divorces from his wife and infant) played in the game. He said yes and I was delighted, saying jokingly that this game would be worth watching. Levi then texted that "it was a memorable game." That was when my bullshit detector went off.

Being the realist (or pessimist if you like that word better) that I am, the word "memorable" seemed to carry a negative connotation for me. It made me think that maybe the Swiss were able to upset the Red Fury, thus making the game memorable. I told Levi that I was now nervous about the result and asked him to tell me as ambiguously as possible that I would not be disappointed with the match. He said, "Spain attack looked solid." I took that to mean that they looked formidable as always and my nerves subsided. I went on for the rest of the day thinking that I would go home and watch a Spanish victory...until this.

After I got home I had to go to the gym for a quick bout with the elliptical. I made sure that the tv attached to my machine was turned to any channel besides ESPN (since the r
un the World Cup scores on the crawl at the bottom of the screen) and went on with my work out. As I finished, I got down from my machine and glanced over at a nearby tv...which just happened to be on ESPN and just happened to flash the Spain score right as I looked over. That's when I saw the sentence that would change the whole trajectory of my day: "Switzerland stuns Spain 1-0." I thought that this had to be a typo or a cruel joke that was being played on me. But then I realized, this was ESPN and I'm pretty sure that they would report the game result in a true manner.

The air escaped my lungs as if I had received a Chuck Norris round-house kick to the gut. I was frozen in disbelief. How could they lose? Was this World Cup going to end in disappointment like all of Spain's previous attempts? It couldn't be so. I was so upset that I couldn't even continue my workout routine (weight lifting and lunges and such). I sulked back to my apartment and procee
ded to call any of my friends who would care. I didn't get much sympathy from them. However, all of them told me that it was a great game, perhaps the best of the tournament thus far, and that I should watch it. I pondered for a minute or two. Would I watch this great game with all of its ups and downs even though I already knew the disappointing result, or would I be angry and bitter and not watch the game. I decided on the former, not because I wanted to torture myself while waiting around for the Swiss's winning goal, but because I still wanted to watch great soccer. And because I knew that it would somehow reignite the passion I have for Spanish soccer.

I've just finished watching the game, and I have to admit that it was possibly the best game I have seen over the last six days. Spain attacked with fervor and might, but just couldn't find the back of the net. There were mishits, hit crossed bars, misguided crosses, a couple of head-scratching plays (I'm looking at you David Silva!), and the Swiss's stifling defensive strategy that kept Spain of the score board. And if that wasn't enough, the goal by Switzerland's Fernandes was about as ugly as they come. Just heartbreaking. And Alonso's shot hitting the bar...I yelled and cursed aloud in my living room. Even Fernando tried his best while he was out there, but his lack of playing time from the last few months (he had a knee surgery in April) was pretty clear with his heavy touches. Then the referee blew the final whistle and I shut the TV off.

While the result was not at all favorable to me, I know that La Roja are going to find a way to bounce back. Now that they have wet their feet in the 2010 World Cup waters, they can come out and win games like they know how to do. This isn't like the NCAA tournament where teams can be one and done. Spain has two more games to prove themselves to be the favorites that they have been labeled for the last several months.

Now, I may have a few drinks in order to drown my misery, but I am definitely going to watch the last couple episodes of season 2 of The Wire (which if you haven't watch any of it yet you should because it is awesome!). At least that could be seen as an up-side to my day.

2 comments:

  1. You said...
    "But then I realized, this was ESPN and I'm pretty sure that they would report the game result in a true manner."

    ...unlike FOX Propaganda Channel. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is my favorite entry title thus far ahaha

    ReplyDelete