Thursday, May 27, 2010

GOEBBELS!!! (pron: ger-bels)

Exciting news!!! I finished my first week of internship at the Foxy, and I have to say that I am really enjoying what I'm doing. Well...not so much the Glenn Beck, but everything else is pretty cool. Today was particularly exciting because I learned and then actually got to publish things for foxnews.com. Now, that may not sound that exciting to you, but it was awesome for me. I felt like a critical cog in the big Foxy machine. But before I had a chance to publish a story on the web site on my own, Producer Matt had to teach me how to publish. And he taught me using none other than...Glenn Beck. Gah. Slightly unrelated but kinda related, Producer Matt is in charge of putting up the video contents and transcript of Glenn's show up on the web, which basically means that I am the one that has to watch the videos and go over the transcripts. So I get to watch Glenn Beck every time I go into work. What joy! I know my grandma will be proud.

So, first things first, I had to watch the second half of Glenn while following along with the transcript to make sure that there weren't any mistakes. In this episode, Glenn is talking about President Woodrow Wilson and how he is "the most evil man we've ever had in office." Now, I don't know anything about Woodrow Wilson or his character, but calling him evil is a little bit harsh, Glenn. Then he does this kind of "six ways of separation from Kevin Bacon" thing where he relates Wilson's Committee on Public Information to Nazi Germany and nazi propagandist Joseph Goebbels (hence the title of this post). Again, that's a bit too far, Glenn. Now, I can go on about this (and I don't because this is a blog about me and not Glenn Beck), but the bottom line is that Glenn is just a tad...intense, shall we saw. MOVING ON! After reading through the transcript and cropping some pictures of the Beckster and pressing some magic buttons, the page was published. Though, one thing that I found difficult about publishing this particular page was trying to come up with a suitable headline in which to grab people to look at the page (which is really all that matters in the online world). Producer Matt came by and gave me some advice, which I would like to feature in a new section called "Producer Matt's Life Lesson of the Day."

Producer Matt's Life Lesson of the Day: Be and make things interesting...because if you can't come up with something that sounds interesting to you, then it won't be interesting to anyone else

The only problem with PM's sage advice was that I at all interested in Woodrow Wilson nor his Committee on Public Information. But I made the most of it and got it worked out. If you want to check out my handy work of the day, click here. Oh! One last thing this particular topic...Producer Matt taught me that Woodrow Wilson was a progressive. Certainly good to know for the next time I play Political Trivial Pursuit.

Following the Beckster, I got to publish (on my own, so it's cooler) some summer recipes for the Fox & Friends website. I found that coming up with headlines and descriptions a lot easier and fun because I thought the marinade and BBQ recipes to be a lot more interesting than Woodrow WIlson, but hey. The sad part is that New York hasn't posted my recipe page on the website yet. Rude! But anyway, I can guarantee that it is going to look bitchin'. And the recipes sounded pretty good too. I might have to give them a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment